A funny thing. On a mundane worktrip to outdoorfair in Germany, we where located to a hotel in little town of Meersburg. A very pretty place on a Boodensee lake. But to our suprise the hotel happened to be with medieval theme! The rooms are decorated and furnished with medieval feel, and a medieval music plays in the corridors. How nice setting for hemming frilled veil and making cloth buttons in the evenings. How else would a busy working mum find time for a hobby, than on airplanes and hotels on a worktrip…
Photos of hotel:
Its been a while since I had time do medieval crafts. Now I have loads to do this summer. I need to make toys and games for a shop we will have this summer at Hämeenlinna medieval market. Also I need to furnish the tent and the shop. So this means woodworking. Thanks to my dear husband and father we have had very productive Midsummer festival weekend. Instead of usual Finnish way of heavy drinking, we have been spending quality time with powertools. We have cut pieces for a shelf and legs for trestle table.
And as if that wasn’t enough… My little boy is growing up and needs new bigger size clothing. I myself, have during the past year, lost 20kg of weight. I am very happy about this, but again it means more projects to do. As obviously, the tight fitting cotehardies are no longer tight fitting. I might be able to wear them under loose over garment, but since I do not own one, I need to make one. So, clothing to do list is as follows:
- 2-3 linen shirts (child)
- 2 wool tunics (child)
- 2 linen briefs (child)
- 2 wool socks (child)
- 1 linen underdress
- 1 moy gown
- 1 loose wool cotte
Hmmmm… I might need lots of help with hand stitching from my dear mum…
We have been trying out some plant dyeing or more to say fungi dyeing. We experimented with surprise webcap and with different yarns and dye pots.
We have had rain for the whole autumn, so we had very wet enviroment to do the dyeing. At first it seemed to be as far from ideal conditions as possible. We had big problems woth just getting the fire started. But after we passed the first obstacle, the little rain seemed to do us favour. It was easy to control the temperature of the dyieng broth. We first boiled the soaked mushrooms for about 0,5h and then sieved the solution. After adding the alumn and the pre-heated wet yarns, the rain helped us to heat the solution slowly to 80-85°c and keep it about there. After dying, we left the yarns to cool down in the pots over night. Here are some pictures of the rainy day.
Left: yarns pre-heating
Middle: iron pot, with mushrooms
Right: steel pot, with mushrooms
Here is update on my silk brocade belt project. I managed to weave few lines at the market, even though it is very difficult to count the threads while answering peoples questions about the work at the same time. It is slow process, approx. 1,5cm / hour.
What a wonderful weekend at the market. The rain on sunday was little annoying, but even still we enjoyed. The wooden cart we made , was a big hit in the market. People kept taking lots of pictures of the cart and our son. And I have to admit, he enjoyed the attention. He was like little royalty, sitting in his cart, waving to people passing by.
I managed to weave my brocade silk belt for about 2cm during the market. The pace of work is about 1cm/hour. But at the market, the pace seems to slow down, because I had to stop every now and then to explain people what I am doing. However, I didn’t mind that. It was my plan to show people the craft of cardweaving. And it was quite nice to see how many people where interested in the technique. I try to take picture of the brocade and post about is soonest.
We have been working together with my husband on a wooden cart project. We took part in wood working class in may where we begin the project. With the versatile woodworking machinery in the workshop, I was able to learn a nrw skill: how to turn wood. It was quite fun. I am now bitted by woodturning bug. Since the class we have continued the cart at home. Little by little… Now we have a deadline: next weekend is Hämeenlinna medieval fair.
Today was sunny enough sunday to begin my new tablet weaving project. This project has been in my mind for couple of years and more than a year I have had the supplies in my drawers. It is going to be silk belt with silver (imitation because of cost) brocade. The silk is very narrow 60/2, which means that the work pace will be tediously slow and this project will probably last couple more years. So today I managed to warp up my loom, only threading the tablets remain. I am working this way, since I couldn’t figure out how to devide my silk thread into four correct size cones without wasting the silk yarn. So I couldn’t make the continous warp. But, it doesn’t matter, I quite enjoy threading the tablets.
My warping reel is agent. They are missing many parts and they do not spin. Anyhow got the job done ok with the help of my aunt (and my mother looking after my very active son), even if we had to run around the reel all day.